Wheeling Island Racetrack
and Gaming Center

Wheeling Island Racetrack and Gaming Center is a greyhound racing track in Wheeling, West Virginia. The track is open daily from 7am to 4am.

Wheeling Island Racetrack and Gaming Center has a 90,000 square foot casino that features 2,400 slot machines. The track also has six restaurants and a 151-room hotel.

The casino features slot machine favorites like Wheel of Fortune, Double Diamond, Double Diamond Deluxe, Triple Double Diamond, Hot Peppers, Leopard Spots, and Red White and Blue.

View Larger Map

Multi-line nickel games, such as Instant Winner, Jackpot Party and Little Green Men, are also available as well as a selection of video lottery games including the popular Keno games. Game denominations range from nickel to five dollars with jackpots up to $50,000.

Other games include:

  • Fairy's Fortune
  • Ring Quest
  • Neptune's Kingdom
  • Lucky Seals
  • Wheel of Fortune
  • Double Diamond
  • Double Diamond Deluxe
  • Triple Double Diamond
  • Hot Peppers
  • Big Game Bonus Hunter
  • Cashquatch
  • Mega Mart
  • Leopard Spots
  • Red White and Blue
  • Double Red White and Blue
  • Triple Red White and Blue
  • Frog Prince
  • Super Cherry
  • Five Times Pay
  • Money to Burn
  • Winning Bid
  • Ten Times Pay
  • Double Ten Times Pay
  • Enchanged Forest
  • Cleopatra
  • Lucky Larry's Lobstermania
  • Tobasco
  • Elephant King
  • Sizzling 7's
  • Reel Em In
  • Video Keno
  • Video Blackjack
  • Video Poker

History of Wheeling Island Racetrack
and Gaming Center

Wheeling Downs opened in the 1860s. Thoroughbred and harness racing are reported to have occurred during those years.

In the 1920's Wheeling Downs became the state fair park. The park was designed by architect John Carlin.

During the Second World War, there were attempts at racing but these were all unsuccessful. And shifts in the economy and ownership changes caused the open-air compound to close many times.

In 1945, Bill Lias, an entrepreneur purchased the compound. Lias redesigned the compound himself and turned it into a showcase of shrubbery and steeples. This gave Wheeling Downs its nickname "miniature Churchill Downs".

Lias was a legend throughout his ownership of Wheeling Downs. The track was his and his family's home. He loved it and treated the track, employees, and customers with extreme care.

The Lias era come to an end when he sold Wheeling Downs in 1956. After passing through two owners, mattress magnate Jim Edwards purchased Wheeling Downs in 1961. A year later, a fire destroyed the clubhouse. The fire also thawed out the track and infield turning them into a muddy mess.

Wheeling Downs was rebuilt in 1967. And once again, thoroughbreds thundered on its racing surface during the winter months.

In 1969 Edwards sold Wheeling Downs to a corporation named Ogden.

Ogden roused Wheeling Downs to success by introducing greyhound racing in 1976.

More than 920,000 fans walked through the track's entrance in 1996 and wagered $108 million.

Wheeling Downs has recently been renamed Wheeling Island Racetrack and Gaming Center.

Place a bet on your favorite horse or play your favorite casino game now.